March 6, 2013

Cardboard, Feathers and Kites...

Oh to be four again....I have to say I have been struggling with some emotions lately.  Emotions related to everyday life, feelings of hurt from my past, stress from trying to be the best parent I can be, fences being blown down by 45 mile and hour winds that need fixin'....just life  in general.  These feelings are pretty new to me..not that my life has been all rainbows and unicorns...but most things seem to roll off my back...like a duck in water, cruisin' through the big pond of life.  I haven't been feeling so 'laid back' lately...which basically makes me feel like an alien (sorry to all the aliens out there..).  So when I got home yesterday and Ella Mae had brought home a piece of cardboard from Montessori school it put things into perspective.  Her excitement and enthusiasm for this simple piece of cardboard (about the size of my hand) that her teacher let her bring home was just what I needed to snap me out of it.   And then...she passed by a tiny little feather moving an inch at a time with the wind...I mean tiny lil feather.  As if her enthusiasm for the plain ol' piece of cardboard wasn't enough to  make me remember  how simple life can be....she screeched when she saw this feather "a feather mommy!!!  Look...a feather!!!"  It was like Lenny Kravitz had walked by with his shirt off (ok...mabye she wouldn't have been that excited but mama would have).   Anywho, just witnessing that state of mind and being in that undeniable carefree energy rubbed off on me and I am starting to feel somewhat back in my laid back lil' duck pond again.  Thank you my lil' lady for reminding me that it's the little things that keep us smilin'..

On that note...we tried to go the the Kite Festival this past weekend and failed.  We waited in the line of cars for an HOUR to park...and 20 cars from the finish line we were shut down!  We were told to ride the shuttle from some other destination...no thanks!  We decided to create our own kite festival...Plachta style!  Way more fun if you ask this mama...and way less stress.  We took our $2 kites to a local park....


And viola!!  Kite Festival 2013...we even had a picnic and a few other peeps came up and joined. 

Ella Mae's "'spidey kite"...

Even Ruby Doobs got in on the action. Here she is right before take off...



And here she is flying that thing all by her tiny  lil' self!!!!!!

Seriously folks...she is flying it by herself!

And by the way...remember that hole she had in between the top two chambers of her heart??  Well I do.  Dr. Wong had the pleasure of telling me after her last cardio appt. that the second hole in her heart had indeed closed on it's own, just as the first one did at 6 months.  Raise the roof peeps!!  He told us her ticker was perfectly perfect....just like her.  These are the things that matter peeps.  Cardboard, feathers and a day with your family flyin' $2 kites....oh...and dancin' ..you can't forget the dancin'...

Doobs checkin' her moves out at the dance studio...


She actually participated a bit in Ella Mae's class this week..pretty cute :)


Keep smilin' my friends!!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Liz! And love the way you write. Feeling like an alien sounds about right. Someone said something to me yesterday that made me feel that snapping out of it feeling. Cleared up my head for awhile.

    I told someone tonight who's going through a rough time about your mom's saying. She loved it!

    Flying kites is a great idea! And I's so cute seeing Doobs in that shirt Ella used to wear. Love it!

    ReplyDelete