October 18, 2012

First Response...

Sooo...I talk about my girls and family alot. That's no secret.  Any chance I get...I slip it in there.  That is also true of Down syndrome...I will talk about Ruby Doobs and her rockin' extra chromosome to anybody that will listen.  Sometimes ..even if they don't..ha!  Over the two years since her birth, I have gotten varied first responses.  Mostly positive things like "I have an uncle with Down syndrome"....or "I used to teach children with Down syndrome and they are the sweetest".  Inevitably, most people have been impacted by someone with Down syndrome or special needs and sharing life stories is what it's all about...right?.  My least favorite response when I first tell someone my daughter has Down syndrome... "I'm sorry"...to which I always say.."I'm not!  I love her extra chromosome...she's the coolest thing since sliced bread!"  I say that alot...coolest thing since sliced bread...cuz I believe it.  I think some people say "I'm sorry"  because they don't quite know what to say, not sure how you feel about it, or they have never been around someone like my Doobs before (cuz if they had, they probably would not be saying that :)). I never take offense to this (or much else for that matter), but only do my darndest to share the coolness...so maybe next time someone talks about Down syndrome they may say.."Awesome!  I have heard great things about these individuals!"  It may be hard for some families in the beginning, but all we want as humans is love and acceptance...so even if a new mother may be grieving about the initial diagnosis...give them a huge "CONRATS!!"

Me and Ruby Doobs shortly after her birth :)


Snatch that sweet baby up...as you would any sweet baby...and kiss those beautiful perfect cheeks.  Tell them you see the beauty of both parents in that sweet face...tell them you will be there for them and their new bundle of joy whatever they need.  Having a child with Down syndrome is an amazing, amazing journey...but every child is a journey.  A few quotes I have seen this month that I think are awesome...and true...




  I saw another quote the other day...Down syndrome is the gift you didn't know you wanted...till you got it.

That last one really hits home because, honestly, I had never even thought about having a child with special needs. Not that I ever thought anything good or bad about it...I just never thought about it.  We didn't know until Ruby's birth she was rockin' an extra chromosome, so I really had to take a crash course in..well...all things Down syndrome.  I have never been a avid reader, so when I came home one day with a library card and seven books stacked so tall I could barely see over them.. the hubby asked "Is this all it took to get you to read?"  That's all it took.. I wanted to know absolutely everything there was to know about my new lil' lady.  What did I find out?  She just develops and learns a little different..but don't we all? I have learned so much more since my 'crash course'.  One thing I can say without hesitation is that I feel kinda like I have an "insider scoop" on life.  I feel like my eyes and my heart are wide open, I am more aware of my surroundings and the people in them.  And most every family I have met with a child with Down syndrome and talked with feels about  the same.  Our lives and our kiddos are perfect just the way they are.  So next time you see a family with a member rockin' an extra chromosome...don't feel sorry for us...go up and strike up some conversation...you won't be sorry...we embrace, love and accept it all with open arms...




No comments:

Post a Comment