October 8, 2012

Time Warp..

It seems like only yesterday Ella Mae was in my belly and I was "curb walking" and eating spicy foods to try and get my first child to come out of the womb...a full two weeks late she decided to show up. I feel like I have been in a time warp ever since.  Like I stepped into one of those machines in Star Trek with Captain Kirk...and all of the sudden I am hangin' out with another species.  The "other species" would be my children.  Let me explain...I simply cannot believe how fast time flies.  Evidence:

Ella Mae and Ruby Doobs at 2 1/2 weeks old
Above  is Ruby and Ella Mae when we finally got to bring her home from the NICU and Ella got to meet the "sister" she was talking to in mommy's belly every night.  Pretty amazing.  For both of them.  We didn't know Doobers was rockin' an extra chromosome till she was born and although the diagnosis of Down syndrome didn't seem to phase us too much...there were definitely uncertainties that loomed.  When will she crawl or walk? Talk?  Laugh and giggle with her sister?  Are we doing enough to give her all the support and opportunities she needs??  Well...fast forwarding in my time warp with Spock and Captain Kirk...it is almost like being with another species...with both my girls...not just because Doobs has Down syndrome.  Ella Mae talks about "needing her privacy" and has arguments with me worthy of the debate team....she's FOUR.  To say "I am in trouble" is an understatement...or "paybacks are hell"...my mom, I am quite sure, is chuckling at this post right now...but I know her heart is good...golden..and in the end she will end up on planet earth just like I did (sort of).  Ruby has been a little different journey.  I think the hardest part so far (for me) has been the fear of failure...me failing her.  Certainly not her failing us...cuz this gal doesn't know the word...I struggle with balancing time and energy to give her all the right opportunities to rock this life she was given.  And you know what?  This girl's got it goin' on.  Almost TWO years later she is truly rockin' that extra chromosome!  She schools me on what life is all about and I love it.  Two years later she is a happy, healthy, motivated and inspiring lil' pip-squeak I am so proud to call my daughter.  Two years later she is walking, signing, laughing with her sister...just how I had imagined it would be. Two years later this is the "other species":

Their first "hippy day care" school  picture...


          So crazy!!  I am so amazed everyday that my hubby and I created these perfect little creatures!!

                                                            Happy Monday Peeps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment