October 4, 2012

More Alike than Different..


So... a lot of what Down syndrome awareness month is about is creating awareness that our kiddos are more alike than different. They have likes and dislikes, passions...they are pretty happy most of the time, but still have opinions and bad days.  They do , however, have a confidence and a peace about them that we should all aspire to have.  I often say that if we could bottle that extra chromosome and share a little of  it with the rest of the population we may be closer to world peace....ok, ok..maybe less road rage. Still, just from being lucky enough to be Ruby's mom, she has passed on some of that confidence to me.  It is impossible to not have it rub off on you...it is pretty crazy!  They say Down syndrome is not contagious...but I beg to differ.  The energy that surrounds my daughter is certainly infectious...it is undeniable.  She has taught me so much about this crazy world and myself in her short time here...I notice so much more than I ever did before...



My older daughter and I stole some alone time together on the beach to hunt for seashells on our mini-vaca.  She was picking up every single piece of shell she saw. Some were whole, some were chipped, some were just little broken pieces that barely even resembled a shell. She even picked up little crab claws...she saw worth and beauty in each one.  Each one was different...perfectly different.  I don't mind that our Ruby Doobs might not be considered "typical" or "just like" everyone else...that would be kinda boring...don't ya think?  Just like finding the same sea shell over and over again.  Our seashell hunt was a success because we found the beauty in the little things....the perfectly different little things...just like our sweet Doobs.


Our perfect lil' seashell collection...


           ROCK ON PEEPS!!  SEE THE BEAUTY IN ALL THINGS...EVEN YOURSELVES!!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!! I feel these ways too! "They say Down syndrome is not contagious...but I beg to differ" -- LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are such lucky mamas Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete