April 18, 2011

The little things

So I went out to water my new lil' garden I have planted out front yesterday.  It's kinda "my time"...it's only maybe 10-15 minutes, but I quite enjoy being out there, nurturing my plants, one with nature kinda thing.  Anywho..as much as I would like to think I have a green thumb, my hubby and I seem to kill most anything we plant into the ground.  This garden however, and all my plants out front, seem to be thriving, blooming and doing quite well. Maybe because my sixty something year old mom came and spent an afternoon cleaning out  the jungle of a bed, stocked with trees and who knows what else, to try and help us not be "those neighbors" in the culde-sac...I feel a huge obligation to keep it alive. Well, I was taking my "15 minutes" yesterday to water, and when I turned on the hose realized it had busted and water was spewing everywhere but where I needed it to be.  Crap!!  I had just bought this stinkin' hose maybe 6 weeks ago..and already a break!  It is those little things that seem to just get my feathers ruffled!  How was I to nurture my plants and take my one little moment of solitude with a huge hole in my hose??  I seem to cope quite well with the bigger curves in the road..why do these little things matter so much?  I am barely phazed by the fact my daughter has an extra chromosome..but a break in the hose messes with my entire day?

Fast forward to the evening...my hubby and I are sitting with "Rubster Doobster", as Ella Mae calls her, and we are doing "thearapy" with her. It is basically us just havin' fun and playin' with her.  We are holding mardi gras beads above her and trying to temp her to swipe at them....oh the things one will do for those mardi gras beads..HA! Anywho..it takes her a minute to engage..but she is watching them intently....then her little hands come up...steady..steady..GOT IT!!  Our lil' Ruby has moved passed just randomly swiping at things and is spotting what she wants and going for it!  I love a girl who takes charge and goes for it!! WOOT! WOOT!! Such gratification seeing those chubby lil' hands wrapped around those beads. I feel like a peacock spreading my feathers with pride!  Then I realize it's not only the "little things" that ruffle your feathers, but the "little things" that make life so wonderful. Just the simple softness and smell of  Ruby's lil' feet..although I probably won't be smelling them for too much longer...


or Ella Mae's lil' arms wrapped around my neck in the morning with her breath on my cheeks..those little moments with both my daughters laughing and smiling.  I absolutely adore catching my oldest dancing (in her princess dress of course :)) hand in hand with her barbie without a care in the world...twirling and singing at the top of her lungs.  Life is good, my friends...and without all the ruffling of the feathers..I feel certain I would not have been able to handle all the bigger bumps in the road.  So next time I get my blood boiling over a "little thing" I have decided to not beat myself up about it, cuz inevitably it is preparing me for the "bigger things".....Happy Monday Ya'll!!

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear Ruby is doing so well!!! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the little stuff and not sweat the small stuff!!

    ReplyDelete