April 28, 2011

My "Battle Cry"....

My strong lil' lady!!
I found myself crying hard today for the first time since we brought Ruby home from the NICU.  That ride  seemed long..not to mention long ago, and I found each day quite emotional but have not had a good cry since.  Dr Wong (Ruby's cardiologist)  has this wonderfully round and gentle face and I am sure has given his fair share of bad news.  Today, however, he had the pleasure of telling me that my sweet lil' lady's lower VSD has closed on it's own.  Ruby was born with a hole in her heart..about 80 percent of Down Syndrome kiddos have some sort of heart defect at birth and only 10 percent of the particular hole Ruby has (or I should say HAD:)) will close on it's own.  Some of these amazing kiddos have to have open heart surgery before even leaving the hospital.  Talk about an emotional ride!  This is her third check-up and he seems to think she will never have to have heart surgery.  I was suprised at my reaction when he told me...all I could do was hug and squeeze this amazing lil' lady and cry....I cried my eyes out. I am usually not a "tears of joy" kind of lady.  People asked me when I got engaged (wonderful story BTW..will have to tell later..) "did you cry?"....to wich I replied "of course not..it was one of the happiest moments of my life!"  Anywho.. It was a good cry, one that afterward I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, and Ruby just let me hug her tight..the way my mom used to hug me until I felt like I was being suffocated...and whisper into her ear. I told her how lucky we are to have her in our lives..how she amazes me everyday..how I can't wait to watch her grow strong and become whatever she wants to be.  I will be there for you always, I whisper, and you will ALWAYS know how very much I love you and just how special you are.  This wasn't a cry like the fear of the unknown...that was my "hospital cry"....these were tears of joy..tears of pride..tears of excitement for the future.  The future still is "unknown"...and no doubt will have some rough patches....but I am so UNBELIEVABLY PROUD of who my daughter is, every little thing about her.  The joy, happiness and even heartache I feel for both my girls makes me appreciate life..I have said it before and am sure I will say it again..LIFE IS GOOD MY FRIENDS!  Seek out the wonderfullness in all peeps...and in yourselves! Gotta run cuz my girls are actually napping at the same time..so this mama is going to try and sneak one in too!!  LUV LUV!!

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm crying too! Glad you got a good one out. Love this picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing news! We are so happy for Ruby Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has fixed a hole in her own heart & filled up many others.

    ReplyDelete