March 15, 2012

Shuffleboard...

So the hubby and I fell in love over a shuffle board table in SD, so it seems only fit we found  our way to a dive bar called the 'Giddy Up' playing a very competative game of shuffleboard after our 'early 5th anniversary' dinner. We took advantage of the in-laws being here and flew the coop for the evening to use a gift card we got from my wonderful Aunt as a X-mas present...also fitting cuz my hubby used a coupon on our first date...it may sound a bit cheap to the average Joe, but that is when I knew it was the real deal....it wasn't about fancy dinners or fake conversations..we were who we were....we liked each other for exactly who we were, and we just wanted to spend time together....It is that same way today, 8 years later, two amazing pip-squeaks later.  We just enjoy each others company. period.

This shuffleboard table though, I have to say, was one of the most unpredictable tables I have ever played on.  It got me thinking how it kind of represents my life with my kiddos.  I could use the exact same resistance every time, and the puck would end up in a different place each time....sometimes flying off the end landing so hard against the back of the table the entire bar would turn and look...and then other times...it would get caught up in the in the sand and stop dead in it's tracks halfway...

The Hubby and I want so badly to give the Doobers all the right opportunities...give her all the skills she needs to be independent, to grow and flourish.  I drive myself crazy wondering if I am giving her all that she needs... I sometimes have to stop myself and realize that she is an individual, and some days no matter how hard I try...she is gonna get stuck in the sand...and the next day, with that same gentle nudge...she goes flyin' off the dang shuffleboard table....out into this great big world...

There is absolutley no doubt in my mind that Ruby will do amazing things...change people's hearts and minds for the better...she already has...so I think I need to just sit back and relax...let the Doobers take the wheel...and enjoy the sandy, unpredictable  shuffleboard table of life.  I have to say...it is really quite fun considering I kicked the hubby's butt..ok..truth be told..we each won a game....but I kicked his butt harder than he kicked mine  :)

Only 6 more days until World Down Syndrome Day and I will stop flappin my gums on a daily basis about the coolness of the Doobs..........Have a rockin' Thursday peeps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment